NEVILLE CHEMICAL COMPANY HISTORY
In 1908, Harvey N. Dauler was employed by Gulf Oil Corporation, selling oil and gasoline to garages and repair shops. When he suggested that Gulf establish curbside stations to sell gasoline directly to motorists, his idea was rejected. Dauler resigned and opened what is generally accepted to be the world's first service station on Bigelow Boulevard in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Five years later, Dauler sold his gas station to none other than Gulf Oil.
During World War I, batteries of coke ovens were constructed to supply the production of steel. However, steel manufacturers had no use for the coke co-products that were being generated. Harvey Dauler recognized the potential of those chemical co-products and saw the foundation for a new industry.
In 1925, Harvey Dauler, along with William S. Gardiner and Edwin Hodge, Jr. incorporated Neville Chemical Company to manufacture coumarone-indene resins and solvents from coke co-products. Neville's first plant, a coumarone-indene resin plant, was constructed on Neville Island in 1927 and was only the second such facility to be erected in the western hemisphere. The resins found immediate use in floor tile, protective coatings and molded rubber items.
During World War II, Neville was called upon to produce numerous specialty chemicals. Binders for smokeless powder, anti-flash components for naval shells and over 100 other different Neville products were furnished to the government during these years.
In the late 1940s, Neville saw the development of petroleum cracking units as a new and innovative opportunity. In 1948, Neville introduced its first petroleum hydrocarbon resin that not only exhibited excellent formulation properties, but was also available at a lower cost.
By 1950, Neville constructed the first hydrocarbon resin manufacturing facility west of the Mississippi River in Anaheim, California.
In a career that spanned forty years, Lee V. Dauler became Neville's President in 1954 upon the death of the original founder, his father, Harvey Dauler. Mr. Dauler held the position until 1979.
Under Mr. Dauler's direction and foresight, Neville experienced a period of remarkable growth that was unparalleled in the company's first twenty-five years of operation. When Mr. Dauler became President, the resin industry was undergoing significant changes. Mr. Dauler launched a major program to develop new products and increase production facilities at both the Neville Island and Anaheim plants.
His accomplishments included the establishment of a joint venture company in Holland; acquisition of a chlorinated paraffin plant in California, which established the company's role as a primary source of resins on the West Coast; and, he oversaw numerous construction projects at the Neville Island location including a plant to manufacture chlorinated paraffins in resinous grades and the introduction of NEVTAC, a new series of tackifying resins which broadened Neville's scope and position as a supplier to the adhesives industry.
In 1979, David N. Clark assumed the role of Neville's President and held the position until his retirement in 1989.
During Mr. Clark's tenure, he was actively involved in the expansion of production capabilities; recorded new highs in employment; and, strove to upgrade each of our facilities from environmental, health and safety standpoints.
Mr. Clark continued to provide his knowledge and expertise after his retirement as a member of the Company's Board of Directors. He retired from the Board in 2014 ending a 63 year career with Neville.
L. Van V. Dauler, Jr. joined Neville as a Director in 1979 and was elected Chairman of the Board in 1987. He reinstated the Neville tradition of having a family member actively involved in the business. He was the grandson of the Company's founders, Harvey Dauler and Edwin Hodge, Jr., and the son of Lee. V. Dauler. Mr. Dauler served as President from 1989 until 2005. Following his retirement, Mr. Dauler maintained an active role at the Company, continuing on as Chairman of the Board until his death in 2015.
Under Mr. Dauler's direction, Neville continued to thrive amid downturns in the U.S. economy. Computer system and business process improvements were implemented during his tenure.
Thomas F. McKnight was named President and Chief Executive Officer in 2006. During his tenure at Neville Chemical Company, Mr. McKnight was a strong and positive force for progress and globalization. Under his direction and leadership, Neville developed instrumental global partnerships that have allowed the Company to remain a respected competitor and supplier in the hydrocarbon resin market. Mr. McKnight retired on January 1, 2019.
Today, Neville Chemical Company is one of the largest producers of hydrocarbon resins and solutions. Neville products are used in the manufacturing of printing inks, adhesives, rubber goods, plastics, paints, coatings and concrete cure. The resins enhance the performance characteristics of the manufactured products.
The Company is led by CEO and President, Denise J. Butler who joined Neville in 1997.
Randi Dauler was elected Chairman of the Board in 2015 upon the death of her husband, L. Van V. Dauler, Jr. Ms. Dauler has served as a Board member since 2014.